Friday, November 9, 2007

Lucca

1.5 hrs past the clustered Firenze skyline, aboard a graffiti enhanced regional train for the cost of a Panini brought me to Lucca for a single afternoon. Unlike most of my journey’s this was not brought on by a hunger for food. Being in Florence has reminded me about the qualities I appreciated in the smaller Southern Cities I have lived. I was in search of a dose of small city charm, new monuments and fresh faces…and yes a perfect meal.

Here’s the snapshot. The food follows…





My meal in Lucca was simple and cheap, a slow food find but without any destination pretense. "Buatino" encompassed the physical characteristics of a Restaurant in transition; an outward attempt to transcend the stylistic Trattoria confines with cluttered results.


I skipped a primi in favor of tempting main courses. My choice was confidently pungent without the heaviness of most roasted meats. Thick tender slices of Pork, marinated in Orange and Lemon was simply innovative and beautifully executed.



A selection of Pecorino's followed, a cheese plate I exhausted at the Restaurant in Montalcino. The highlight was the accompanying homemade Confettura of Red Apple, Red Grape & Walnut. Buonissimo!



Ciao Lucca*

No comments: